我们半衰期的日子|徐泓

      


关注风云之声


提升思维层次



导读



当我还是铀-238时,你对我的体重一直挑剔。我期待和祈祷了五十亿年,终于进行了一次α衰变。两个质子、两个中子离开了我的身体,我变成了钍-234。


在麻省理工学院的公开课《化学原理》上,Catherine Drennan教授分享了一首化学诗Days of Our Half Lives(《我们半衰期的日子》)。视频可见于http://open.163.com/newview/movie/free?pid=M6TUCF6FT&mid=M6TUL3NFT,从12分40秒至17分50秒。原视频的中文翻译基本正确,不过有些地方没有理解英文的俏皮话,本文作者在下面给出了翻译和注释。



这首诗的作者是马萨诸塞州韦尔斯利学院(Wellesley College教授Mala Radhakrishnan她曾经在麻省理工学院获得化学博士学位这首诗用一个感情故事的形式,讲述了-238衰变成一系列核素的过程作者下了很大的功夫使全诗不但韵律工整,而且在化学知识上也是正确的

该诗选自Mala的化学诗集Chemistry for the Couch PotatoCouch是长沙发,美国人把那些吃饱饭后整天窝在沙发里看电视的人称为couch potato(沙发土豆),非常形象地对应中文的“葛优躺”。阅读“懒人的化学”,是个不错的了解化学知识的方法。

Days of our half lives
 
My dearest love, I'm writing you to tell you all that I've been through.
我的至爱我写信告诉你我所经历的一切
I've changed my whole identity,
我的身份已经改变彻底
But loved, I cannot pretend to be.
但曾经爱过不能掩饰
When I was uranium 238,
当我还是铀-238时
You were on my case to start losing weight.
你对我的体重一直挑剔注释:on sb's case : 不停地指责


For five billion years I hoped and I prayed,
期待和祈祷了五十亿年
And finally I had an alpha decay.
终于进行了一次α衰变。
Two protons, two neutrons went right out the door,
两个质子两个中子离开了我的身体,
And now I was thorium 234.
我变成了钍-234
 
But my nucleus was still unfit for your eyes,
我的原子核仍入不了你的眼
Not positive enough for its large size.
尺寸很大却没有足够的正电。
But this time my half-life was really not very long,
但这次我的半衰期并不是很长
Because my will to change was quite strong.
因为我改变自己的意愿非常强
It took just a month, not even a millennium,
只用了一个月,不需要千年,
To beta decay into protactinium.
我变成镤因为一次β衰变
But you still rejected me right off the bat,
但你马上拒绝了我【注释:right off the bat : (美国俚语)立刻,马上】


Protactinium—who's heard of that?
——有谁听说过
So, beta decay, I did much more to become uranium 234.
于是又一次β衰变重新变回自己,
Myself again, but a new isotope,
以一种新的同位素,-234
You still weren't satisfied, but I still had hope.
你仍然不满但我心存希望
 
Three alpha decays, it was hard, but I stayed on
我又经历了三次α衰变,尽管艰辛却有始有终
Through thorium, through radium, and then radon.
成为钍,成为镭,然后成为
I thought I would finally please you,
我想我终于能够让你欢愉
My mass was a healthy 222.
以我健康的222的质量数
But you said, although I like your mass,
然而你说虽然你喜欢这个数字
I do not want to be with a noble gas.
但是不想跟一个惰性气体在一起
You had a point, I wasn't reactive,
你说得有道理,我不具备活泼性,
So in order to please you, I stayed proactive.
所以为了取悦你,我保持积极性。
 
A few days later I found you and said,
几天后我找到你告诉你我是铅
Two more alpha decays and now I am lead.
为此我又进行了两次α衰变
You shook your head,
你摇了摇头表示
You were not too keen on my mass number of 214.
你不太喜欢我的质量数214
I had a bad experience with that mass before,
确实有糟糕的体验伴随着这个数字
An unstable astatine walked right out the door.
曾经溜出门外有个不稳定的砹原子。
So in order to change, I went away,
我离开你为了继续改变
But all I could do was just beta decay.
可是我只能进行β衰变
My hopes and my dreams started to go under,
我的希望和梦想开始辜负
Because beta decay doesn't change a mass number.
因为β衰变不改变质量数
 
To bismuth, then polonium, I hoped and I beckoned,
变成铋再变成钋
我期待着召唤着
My half-life was 164 microseconds.
164微秒的半衰期,
And then finally I alpha decayed,
终于α衰变-210
And then I was lead with the prize worthy mass of 210.
一个值得称赞的数字
I've got to admit I was getting quite tired,
我不得不承认我已十分厌倦
My patience with you had nearly expired.
我对你的耐心几乎到了极限
You were more demanding than any I dated,
你比我约会过的任何人都难满足,
And much of my energy had already been liberated.
而我的大部分能量都已经释放出。
 
But you still weren't happy, but you had a fix,
你仍然不高兴,提出了方案以求满意:
I really like the number of 206.
“其实我喜欢206这个数字”。
So I waited for years until the day,
于是我等待多年直到这天
Which began with another beta decay.
我开始再一次β衰变
And then one more, and finally in the end
接着又一次,终究
I alpha-ed to lead 206, my friend.
α衰变成了铅-206
To change any further I wouldn't be able,
至此,我无力进行任何改变,
No longer active, but happily stable.
不再活跃变得稳定我很情愿
It took me billions of years to do,
这花费了我亿万年时间
And look how I changed and all just for you.
看我完全为你如何改变
And wait, what did you say?
——等一下,你说什么呢?
“You've gotten so old,
“你已经这么老了,
that I'd rather be with a young lass of gold”
而我更愿意和年轻的金姑娘在一起。
Well, I gave up.
好吧我放弃
We're through, my pumpkin.
我们结束了亲爱的【注释:pumpkin : (口语)亲爱的】

Shouldn't all my effort be counting for something?
难道我所做的努力什么都不值
Well, you won't be able to rule me anymore,
以后你再也不能对我控制
Because I'm leaving you, not for one atom, but four.
因为我要离开你,不是为了一个,而是四个原子。
That's right. When you were away defusing,
没错,正当你在外面无所事事,
I met some chlorines that I found quite amusing.
我遇到了一些很有趣的氯原子
So we're going to form PbCl4,
我们将要结合成四氯化铅
And you won't be hearing from me anymore.
我的情况你再也不会了然
See, over the years I've grown quite wise,
经年的我已经豁然开朗
I've learned that love is about compromise.
我明白了爱意味着互让。
You still have half of your half-lives to live,
你的生命还有半个半衰期
So now you go out there, it's your turn to give.
现在轮到你去给予和努力。

背景简介文作者徐泓,同济大学城市规划系本科,中国石油大学(北京)化学工程与技术专业博士研究生。中国科普作家协会会员。作者授权风云之声首发。
责任编辑孙远


标签:
fyvoice
风云之声 微信号:fyvoice 扫描二维码关注公众号
优质自媒体

小编推荐

  1. 1 上海今起实施多项便民利企出入境管理政策措施,攻略指南全在这里!

    国度移民治理局通知自2024年5月6日起实施多数便民利企收支境治理政策办法。个中,上海启动实施赴港澳人才签注政策,并作为试点城市之一,先行

  2. 2 什么叫道路红线和道路绿线(道路红线绿线是什么意思图解)

    大家好,小美今天来为大家解答什么叫道路红线和道路绿线以下问题,道路红线绿线是什么意思图解很多人还不知道,现在让我们一起来看看吧!1、

  3. 3 【V 视】 北林新闻——在线观看

    2024年5月10日《北林新闻》1单伟红到五营乡、双河镇调研2市人大常委会调研组到北林区开展立法调研3三河镇:春耕生产忙 绘就好丰景4北林区残联组

  4. 4 【集团园】招生动态丨金湾华庭幼儿园2024年秋季托班招生

    秋季托班招生简章金湾华庭幼儿园集体园有妄想、见将来 ,在妄想的幼儿园里,纵情披发本身的闪光点。成为敢想的索求家,成为肯干的生活家,成

  5. 5 超凡脱俗的意思和造句三年级(超凡脱俗写一句话)

    大家好,小伟今天来为大家解答超凡脱俗的意思和造句三年级以下问题,超凡脱俗写一句话很多人还不知道,现在让我们一起来看看吧!1、造句:

  6. 6 断缴清零?事关养老保险→

    列入根基养老保险,能够为我们的退休生活供应一份不乱的养老收入和权益保障,其主要性和需要性不问可知。人力资源和社会保障部经由其官方公

  7. 7 第27届全国临床肿瘤学大会暨2024年CSCO学术年会第一轮征文通知

    点击“阅读原文”,进入中国临床肿瘤学会官网

  8. 8 一个晒被子的最佳方式,你绝对想不到

    被子能够说是我们旦夕相处的好战友,它陪我们渡过一个又一个伶仃的夜。可惜固然日夜共枕眠,但好多人却忽略了它的卫生,想想看你有多久没晒

Copyright 2024 优质自媒体,让大家了解更多图文资讯!